2012年3月14日

Here's a golden oldie: "Kurt Cobain," 11" x 14", acrylics, 1995.



Kurt Cobain


So what we've got here is a painting I did for a college graphic design class all the way back in 1995.  The assignment was to do a portrait using a complementary color scheme.  Even looking at it now, I think I did a decent job.  It would be a mild understatement to say that I was pretty into Nirvana back in the day (I can remember the day that I broke my teeth playing volleyball because I drove home and picked up Nirvana's "Unplugged" as a consolation on the day it was released - November 1, 1994), so the then-recently departed Mr. Cobain was an obvious choice as a subject.  However, this piece also played a large role in dissuading me from following a graphic design path, as I only got an 88/100 on this assignment.  It's a solid B+, but that's probably the best grade I pulled on any assignment all quarter.  Convinced that the instructor hated me (or at least my work, which are mostly synonymous when you're 18), I decided graphic design wasn't for me, and started taking as many English classes as I could muster (which would be my eventual major).

Anyhow, I still like this piece, which isn't something that I'd say about much of anything I drew in that time span.  And I still listen to Nirvana, so that's good, too.

没有评论:

发表评论