2012年1月31日

What Makes You Wanna Die?


So I’ll admit it. I’ve actually been seeing pictures of Taylor Momsen all over the internet before I even guessed she was a musician. [I'm not a follower of Gossip Girl.  At all.] Incredibly gorgeous, long-legged and blonde, she came across as more of a goth model of sorts and it wasn’t until I saw a photo of her kissing a microphone did I realize ‘Hey, this one’s a musician!’. Then I Googled her. Needless to say I was pretty impressed when I heard the music.

So this girl’s got an amazing voice. She’s got this deep, sexy voice that could seduce a dead man to walk out of his grave and worship her for eternity. She’s a part of the band The Pretty Reckless, and their sound is a creative mix of Alternative rock and Grunge, which definitely reminds me of Nirvana. Blonde and with a voice to match the depth Cobain’s had, Momsen seems to be making it her personal goal to be the next female Kurt Cobain of today’s music scene.

Their first single ‘Make Me Wanna Die’ from their debut album Light Me Up has revived grunge to a level where people are actually going back and listening to Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam to relive the heydays of the genre. It definitely made me rediscover Nirvana’s ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ because of Momsen channeling Kurt Cobain in her very bones. ‘Make Me Wanna Die’ has anger, desperation, resentment and a sense of manic obsession towards the subject of the song, all spelled out with ferocious beats and heavy distortion on the guitars, accompanied by bass to die for. Momsen belts out the lyrics with the control of a young Amy Lee, and while I may not love her as much as I love Amy, I can definitely give her some kudos for her vocal skills.
There is however one thing that I absolutely CANNOT stand about Momsen. Are you ready to hear it? Here goes: She constantly wears/performs in lingerie. Now while some might say it’s sexy, it does absolutely nothing for me. Especially not while she takes her top off in front of thousands of fans in a concert. I’m not usually a prude -As you all know, Lady Gaga is my icon and there are moments of nudity and lingerie there as well- but maybe what irks me about Momsen stripping has  to do with the fact that she’s younger than I would have expected someone who takes their clothes off in public to be. She’s younger than me, and at the time of flashing said audience, she was only seventeen. However we don’t really have control over her wardrobe selections, so I’ll just have to let that one go.

All said and done, The Pretty Reckless are quite impressive when it comes to making music and reviving forgotten legends in today’s auto-tuned, dance-number-dominated world. They are widely accepted among people around the ages of sixteen and above, and a screaming success with dominating the UK rock charts at number one. Their music has impressed me more than I’d like to admit and while they are not a favorite of mine, ‘Make Me Wanna Die’ has seen a considerable amount of replays on mypersonal playlist. They have been labelled as ‘inspirational’, ‘expressive’ and ‘hardcore’; all of which I agree completely with. Now if only Momsen would put some clothes on…

没有评论:

发表评论